Round Top is a town in Fayette County, Texas, United States. The population was 77 at the 2000 census. Round Top is the home of three visitor-drawing programs: Round Top is also the home of the oldest building in Fayette County, Moore's Fort, which was moved there from nearby La Grange. As a part of the Stephen F. Austin colony, James Winn acquired 4,428acres (17.9Square kilometers; 6.9Square meters) in 1831; the present townsite was included in this tract. Named after Early settlers, specifically Nathaniel Townsend (whose original house still exists as the Texana Lodge) the town was known as Townsend; later it was renamed Round Top, since the postmaster lived in a house with a round tower.