Lockhart is a city in Caldwell County, Texas, United States. It is the county seat of Caldwell County. In the 2000 census the population of Lockhart was 11,615. As of 2007[update] the estimated population was 12,013. Lockhart and Caldwell County is within the Austin-Round Rock metropolitan area. The city of Lockhart is named after Byrd Lockhart, an assistant surveyor of Green DeWitt and reportedly the first Anglo to set foot in Caldwell County. Lockhart was the site of a victory of the Texans over the Comanche, at the Battle of Plum Creek in 1840. Lockhart was originally called "Plum Creek" but the name was later changed to Lockhart. The town's economic growth began with the arrival of the railroad in the late 19th century at which time the town became a regional shipping Center for local cotton. Following the arrival of the railroad, various immigrants, some Jews among them, arrived in Lockhart and opened various businesses.