Gonzales is a city in Gonzales County, Texas, United States. The population was 7,202 at the 2000 census. It is the county seat of Gonzales County. Gonzales is located near the confluence of the San Marcos and Guadalupe rivers. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 5.1square miles (13Square kilometers), all of it land. Gonzales is one of the earliest Anglo-American settlements in Texas, the first west of the Colorado River. It was established by Empresario Green DeWitt as the capital of his colony in August 1825. He named it for Rafael Gonzales, governor of Coahuila y Tejas. Informally, it was known as the Dewitt Colony.