Glen Rose is a city in Somervell County, Texas, United States. It is the county seat of Somervell County. As of the 2010 census, the city population was 2,444. Glen Rose is part of the Granbury micropolitan area. The area was first settled in 1849 by Charles Barnard, who opened a trading Post near Comanche Peak. After the region became a federal Indian reservation in 1855, Barnard moved his business to Fort Belknap. Circa 1859 when the reservation was abolished, he returned to the area and built the first store on what is now the site of Glen Rose. A three-story stone gristmill was constructed along the Paluxy River and the town that grew up around it became known as Barnard's Mill. The mill was sold to T.C. Jordan of Dallas in 1871 for $65,000. Jordan's wife, a native of Scotland, decided to rename the town Rose Glen to reflect the area's natural surroundings. The citizens later voted to call the community Glen Rose. A post office opened in 1874.