According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 31.1Square kilometers(12 Square meters).Farmers Branch was incorporated as a city after an election was held on February 23, 1946.William F. (Bill) Dodson was elected as the city's first mayor. The implementation of city services began immediately after incorporation. In the 1950 census, Farmers Branch had a population of 915. In 1956, a home rule charter was approved that adopted a council-manager form of government. Farmers Branch is a city in Dallas County, Texas, United States. It is both an inner-ring suburb of Dallas and is part of the DallasFort Worth Metroplex. The population was 27,508 at the 2000 census. A July 1, 2008 U.S. Census Bureau estimate placed the population at 26,455.