The United States Post Office operates the Del Valle Post Office at 2883 Texas State Highway 71 East. Del Valle's first post office opened in 1878. At the time William Givens was the postmaster. Del Valle is an unincorporated community in southeastern Travis County, Texas, United States. It is about 7miles (11km) miles southeast of Downtown Austin, and is part of the Austin-Round Rock metropolitan area. The 2000census estimates the population to be 300. In 1812 Santiago Del Valle settled in the hills of Central Texas in a piece of land given to him by the Mexican Government as a land grant. The community of Del Valle, established in the mid-1870s, was named after the land grant. In 1878 a post office opened. By the mid-1880s Del Valle, with 50 residents, also had three churches, two cotton gins, one general store, one steam gristmill, and one school.