Cleveland is a city in Liberty County, Texas, United States. The population was 7,605 at the 2000 census. In 1854,a church and convent was built by Father Peter La Cour near the town's present site. The town began forming in 1878 when Charles Lander Cleveland, a local judge, donated 63.6acres (257,000 Square meters) of land to the Houston East & West Texas Railway (formerly the Southern Pacific Railroad) for use as a stop, requesting that the town be named for him.Despite Cleveland's small population, it has been granted an expansion franchise for the American Basketball Association for the 2011 season. The town was not incorporated until 1935. City taxes were not levied until 1947, a condition so rare that it made for a story in Life magazine.