Bishop is a city in Nueces County, Texas, United States. The population was 3,305 at the 2000 census, but decreased to 3,126 by 2009. Located on U.S. Highway 77 and Farm-to-Market Road 70, Bishop is located just eight miles north of Kingsville and about thirty miles southwest of Corpus Christi. Bishop is a very small town in south Texas, Bishop was a planned town from its beginning. In 1910, F.Z. Bishop, an insurance agent turned promoter, acquired 2,300 acres (9.3Square kilometers) of land in South Texas along the railroad line and laid out a model community surrounded by farm tracts. The city was built on agriculture as its economic mainstay. The economy is also bolstered by a large chemical plant opened in 1945 by Celanese Corporation of America.