McMinnville is the largest city in and the county seat of Warren County, Tennessee, United States. The population was 13,605 at the 2010 census. It was named after Joseph McMinn, a governor of Tennessee, in 1810. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 10.0 square miles (26 km2), all land. McMinville lies at an elevation of 968 feet (295 m), as it sits near the foot of the Cumberland Plateau and on the Highland Rim.
The McMinnville area includes over 50 business and manufacturing plants and over 450 nurseries. The nursery business generates over $300 million in revenue and has given the area the title of "Nursery Capital of the World". McMinnville is the annual host to the Middle Tennessee Nursery Association Trade Show at the McMinnville Civic Center. The city's industrial needs are served by the Caney Fork and Western Railroad. McMinnville, like many smaller American cities and towns, has gone through a revitalization of its downtown area. "Main Street McMinnville" serves as the city's non-profit revitalization organization funded by the National Trust for Historic Preservation and Tennessee's own Main Street Program.
McMinnville has eight elementary and middle schools, and 3 high schools, including private and public schools. The public school system is run by the Warren Schools system. The city also is home to Motlow State Community College and a branch of the Tennessee Technology Center.
Museums and other points of interest:
Falcon Rest, built in 1896, was built by the entrepreneur Clay Faulkner and his family. A large 10,000 square-foot mansion, at the time of its completion, it featured electric lights, indoor plumbing and central heat. PBS described the home as "Tennessee's Biltmore" due to its innovations and grandeur. In the 1940s, the home was adapted as a hospital and nursing home, renamed Faulkner Springs Hospital.
In 1989 George McGlothin bought the house and restored the 1896 appearance, with contemporary updates on building systems. In 1992 the house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The restoration earned the house the National Trust for Historic Preservation's Great American Home Award in 1997. The house is open to the public for tours, shopping, dining and special events.
The Black House is the oldest residence in the city. Built in 1825 by Jesse Coffee, it was one of the first in the area to have a brick exterior. It gained its current name from the former owner Dr. Thomas Black and his family. Dr. Black practiced medicine at the house. In the 1980s it was deeded to his relative, Jean Leonard, who worked with the Eagle Club to begin restoration. Operating as a house museum, it offers tours to the public. In 1983 the house was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
Parks & recreation:
McMinnville serves as home to Cumberland Caverns and Court Square Park. Cumberland Caverns is the largest show cave in the state. At a total of 32 miles of underground caverns, Cumberland Caverns formally held the title of the second largest cave in the United States. A notable feature of the caverns is the "Volcano Room", which is large enough to hold 500 people and features a chandelier from the former Loews Metropolitan Theater of New York City. The McMinnville Parks and Recreation Department manages five city parks, the McMinnville Farmers Market, the Barren Forks Greenway, a playground, a fitness and wellness center, and local sports leagues. The parks department also manages the McMinnville Civic Center, which serves as a community center for sports and special events.