Stone Street Baptist Church is a historic African American Baptist church in Mobile, Alabama. The congregation was established well before the American Civil War, with Stone Street Baptist recognized today as one of Alabama's most influential African American Baptist churches. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on August 08, 1985.
Stone Street Baptist Church was the second church building constructed by members of this congregation. In 1843 the white trustees of Saint Anthony Street Baptist Church purchased a plot of land at the southwest corner of Chestnut and Tunstall streets for the use of the African branch of the church, which became the Stone Street Baptist Church. Twenty-five years later the title to the property was transferred to the African American trustees of the Stone Street Baptist Church.
This historical congregation has had only sixteen pastors in 196 years. Richard Fields, also called “Uncle Dick,” was the first pastor, followed by Reverend Kadar Hawthorn, Reverend Benjamin F. Burke, Reverend Henry Watson, Reverend Jacobs, Reverend K. D. Watkins, Reverend T. M. Mosley, Reverend C. H. Hawkins, Reverend W. M. Banks, Reverend M. C. Cleveland, Reverend C. T. Hayes, Reverend J. A. Robinson, Reverend V. W. Glanton, Dr. Charles A. Tunstall, Dr. Harold W. Toliver, and Reverend Milton E. Saffold, the current pastor.