St. Joseph's African Methodist Episcopal Church is a historic church at Fayetteville Street and Durham Expressway in the Hayti District, now a neighborhood of Durham, North Carolina. Started soon after the Civil War by black workers, the Hayti District became a well-developed and self-sufficient black community, complete with a variety of businesses and services, including theatre, hospital and hotel.
The church was built in 1891, by a congregation that had organized in 1869, brought together in meetings in a "brush arbor" organized by Edian Markham, a former slave and AME missionary. After building a couple of wooden structures, the congregation raised money for this brick church, including funds donated by white philanthropists. It was added to the National Register in 1976. It is now used by the St. Joseph Historic Foundation and the Hayti Centre, for cultural and community activities.