South Glens Falls is a village in Saratoga County, New York, United States. Cooper's Cave, shown on the village seal, is named after the author, James Fenimore Cooper. Cooper was inspired to use the area as a location in his novel, The Last of The Mohicans, after visiting the area. In the late Woodland period, the area was considered to be the winter hunting grounds for the Mohawk and Algonquian tribes.
Slowly, the area became attractive to settlement as good were transported through the "Great Carry" (now Route 9), between Glens Falls and Fort Edward. In 1766, the Daniel Parks family was the first family to settle in to the area after receiving 800 acres (3.2 Square Kilometre) of land, on which they built a house and a saw mill. By the mid 1830s, the settlement boasted saw mills, a grist mill, a cotton mill and a quarry as well as a dock to facilitate commerce.