The Skidmore Fountain is a historic fountain in Portland
, United States
. It was dedicated September 22, 1888, in memory of Stephen G. Skidmore, a wealthy Portland druggist who died in 1883, and partly financed by his will. It was designed by sculptor Olin Levi Warner for $18,000, all of which was donated.
It is styled after fountains Skidmore viewed at Versailles on his visit to the 1878 Paris Exposition and intended for "horses, men and dogs" to drink from. Henry Weinhard offered to pump beer into the fountain at the dedication.The fountain is located near the west end of the Burnside Bridge at SW First and Ankeny streets within downtown Portland.
The MAX Light Rail line runs past it and has a nearby stop named after the fountain. When Portland Saturday Market
is operating, the open area around the fountain attracts street performers and entertained spectators. The fountain also serves as a gathering point for several Portland events, such as SantaCon, Plunderathon, Zombiewalk and several protest/activist gatherings.The fountain underwent a restoration in 2005.