Sitgreaves National Forest was established by the U.S. Forest Service in Arizona on July 1, 1908 with 749,084 acres (3,031.44 km2) from portions of Black Mesa and Tonto National Forests. In 1974 entire forest was administratively combined with Apache National Forest to create Apache-Sitgreaves National Forest. The Sitgreaves National Forest is located in the southern parts of Navajo, Coconino, and Apache counties. It had an area of 818,749 acres (3,313.4 km²) as of 30 September 2008. There are local ranger district offices in Lakeside and Overgaard.
The forest was named after Lorenzo Sitgreaves (d. May 14, 1888). Sitgreaves was a lieutenant who made the first topographical mission across Arizona in 1851.