SeaWorld San Antonio (formerly SeaWorld of Texas) is a 250-acre (100 ha) marine mammal park, oceanarium, and animal theme park, located in the Westover Hills district of San Antonio, Texas.
It is the largest of the three parks in the SeaWorld chain owned by SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment, a division of The Blackstone Group, and the World's largest marine-life theme park. It is a member of the Alliance of Marine Mammal Parks and Aquariums (AMMPA) and is accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA).
Roller coasters and thrill rides:
Sesame Street Bay of Play (kiddie rides):
- The Great White: The park's first coaster, a B&M inverted roller coaster that debuted in 1997. Top speed of 50 mph (80 km/h). Lift height is 108.2 ft. Total track = 2,562 ft.
- Shamu Express
- Steel Eel: Advertised as "the first and only hypercoaster in Texas," it reaches speeds close to 70 mph (110 km/h).
- Journey to Atlantis: The first ride of its kind in North America, it debuted in 2007.
- Rio Loco: A river rapids ride that opened in 1991.
- The Texas Splashdown: Opened in 1991, permanently closed on May 13, 2011.
Formerly Shamu's Happy Harbor, Sesame Street's Bay of Play (opened in March 2011) is an interactive children play area based on the long-running television series Sesame Street. The Shamu Express kiddie coaster remains the only unchanged attraction from the old Happy Harbor.
- Grover's Roundup (carousel).
- Abby Cadabby's Rocking Wave (rocking unit).
- Big Bird's Spinning Reef (mini Ferris wheel).
- Shamu Express (mini roller coaster).
- Elmo's Dolphin Dive (mini drop unit).
- Splish 'n' Splash (water play area).
- Little Bird's Splash (small children's water play area).
- Tot's Ahoy (small children's playground).
- Net Climb.
- One Ocean (Shamu Stadium): A new show featuring interaction with whale trainers at the park's Shamu Theater.
- The Cannery Row Caper (Seal and Sea Lion Stadium): A comical "Who done it?" featuring sea lions Clyde and Seamore, who attempt to unravel the mystery of disappearing fish in a nearby cannery. Located at the park's Sea Lion Stadium, this show also features animals Walrus and Otter.
- Cool Vibrations (Ski Stadium): A live-action boat and water-skiing stunt show that runs throughout the park's summer months; formerly called Rockin' Ski Party prior to the park's 2009 season.
- Azul, Lure of the Sea (Beluga Stadium): This show features professional high divers, aerialists, and synchronized swimmers performing with Pacific white-sided dolphins and beluga whales.
- Lights, Camera, Imagination! 4-D (SeaStar Theatre): Combines the latest 4-D special effects technology with multi-sensory theater effects. Guests will experience sprays of water and other surprises during their experience with Sesame Street.
- Boardwalk Games Center: A game center combined with the exit of the Great White roller coaster that features midway games and a video arcade.
- Sea Star Theater: A 4D theater featuring 3D movies with motion seats.
SeaWorld's main attraction is its killer whales, which are housed in the 7-million-gallon habitats that are known in San Antonio as Shamu Theater. Shamu was the name of the first killer whale brought to SeaWorld San Diego in the 1960s. "Shamu" is now used as a stage name for adult killer whales in performances at SeaWorld parks. The killer whales all have real names.The killer whales at San Antonio are Takara, Sakari (Takara's calf), Kyuquot, Unna, and Tuar.
The bottlenose Dolphins at San Antonio are Ansley, Alice
, Brie, Cisco
, Donley, Fathom, Gilly, Hacksaw, Kai, Mattie, Nacha, Neelee, Nikki, Notchfin, Nueces, Osbourne, Ping, Puka, Punta, Scotia, and Yoyo.
SeaWorld San Antonio Summer Nights:
Summer Nights offers entertainment during the night hours. Shows offered include the following: Shamu Rocks Texas-Not only just Shamu, but also today's hit music during the show similar to the Believe show; Sea Lions Tonight-Where guests join these pranksters' spoof about the day's shows; 4-D entertainment in the Sea Star Theater.
Howl-O-Scream is an annual Halloween event that takes place at SeaWorld San Antonio. This year's event features the character Jack O'Lantern as the main icon, who is also featured at the event in Busch Gardens.