St. Joseph Cathedral is a Catholic cathedral located in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, United States. It is the seat of the Diocese of Sioux Falls.
St. Joseph Cathedral traces its history to the establishment of St. Michael’s Church, Sioux Falls' first Catholic parish.It was founded in 1881 and a wooden building was constructed for a church.. A fire in the lower church did significant damage to the cathedral in 1942. Conrad Schmitt Studios decorated the Interior the following year, and the marble high altar and tester were installed in 1946.
The frosted glass windows were replaced by French stenciled stained glass windows in 1947. A major interior restoration took place between 1970 and 1974. A new free-standing altar was installed at that time. In 2004 Sacred Heart Chapel was created in the sacristy and the basement was renovated to become a parish hall. Another major renovation of the cathedral interior was completed in 2011.