Salve Regina University is a university in Newport, Rhode Island. Founded by the Sisters of Mercy, the university is a Catholic, co-educational, private, non-profit institution chartered by the State of Rhode Island in 1934. In 1947 the university acquired Ochre Court and welcomed its first class of 58 students. By a 1991 amendment to the Charter, College was deleted as the institution officially became Salve Regina University.
The undergraduate academic programs are based on the liberal arts, offering concentrations in the arts and sciences and in pre-professional and professional programs. The university offers associate, baccalaureate, and master's degrees, the certificate of advanced graduate study, and the Ph.D. in humanities.
Salve Regina enrolls more than 2,600 men and women from 41 states and 16 nations. Approximately 2,000 are undergraduates and 600 graduate students. Currently 46 undergraduate majors, 12 graduate and undergraduate certificate programs, nine master's degree programs, and a Ph.D. in humanities are offered.
Salve Regina offers associate's, bachelor's, master's, and a doctoral degree, as well as a certificate of advanced graduate study.The classes are small and are all taught by professors; no graduate assistants are used for instruction.
Exchange/study abroad programs:
Programs vary in length from semester, intersession, to summer programs.The University offers programs in the following locations: Australia, Austria, China, Egypt, France, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Mexico, The Netherlands, Spain, Switzerland, Thailand, United Kingdom, and Washington, D.C.
Salve Regina is located in the Ochre Point area of Newport, which is part of Newport's historic district. Newport is World-famous for its opulent "cottages," such as Belcourt Castle, The Breakers, and Marble House. The campus is considered one of the most beautiful in America, and the University has been praised for its restoration efforts.
Accreditation and memberships:
- Ochre Court:The main administration offices are housed in the 50-room former summer "cottage" of Ogden Goelet, Ochre Court. The building was used in the beginning scenes of the movie True Lies.
- McAuley Hall:Inspired by Longfellow's poem about Vikings, "The Skeleton in Armor," the original owner Catharine Lorillard Wolfe called her home Vinland. Designed by Peabody & Stearns in 1880, it was built in the Romanesque Revival style.
- McKillop Library:Built in 1991, the library includes over 150,000 equivalent volumes and Macintosh and Pentium PC labs equipped with national and international databases and Internet and World Wide Web connections. Labs include multi-media options, and a Multi-media Center allows production of interactive presentations.
- Seaview:Seaview is a dormitory that was built in 1880 as a stable for Carey Mansion.
- Conley:Conley is a Tudor Revival building located off Annanndale Rd. It houses approximately 50 students.
- Watts Sherman:The William Watts Sherman House was built in 1876 by William Watts Sherman and his first wife, Annie Derby Rodgers Wetmore.
- Wakehurst:Wakehurst was conceptualized in 1882 and built for James J. Van Alen between 1884 and 1887. It was designed to replicate Wakehurst Place, an Elizabethan manor house built in Sussex, England in 1570, that still stands today.
- Wetmore Hall (Antone Academic Center):Wetmore was the former carriage house and stables for the Chateau-sur-Mer estate. Built in 1852-53 by Seth Bradford for William Shepard Wetmore, it was the most significant "service building" for Chateau-sur-Mer.
- Young Building/Fairlawn:The three-story brick and wood frame structure built for Mr. and Mrs. Andrew Ritchie of Boston was part of the initial development of Bellevue Avenue during the 1850s.
- Founder's Hall:The former summer home of Mr. and Mrs. John Thompson Spencer is designed in a Colonial Revival style. The architectural firm of Peabody & Stearns adapted formal Georgian details like pedimented dormer windows, a fanlight entrance, and roof trim to the informal ambiance of a seaside villa. It was purchased by the university in 1964.
The university is accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges, Inc. through its Commission on Institutions of Higher Education.