St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church is a church located in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.The complex is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and was designated a Milwaukee Landmark.
St. John's congregation was founded December 4, 1848 by German immigrants and was previously affiliated with the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod (WELS). Members of the church, along with neighboring Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church and Grace Lutheran, helped seed other Lutheran churches in the area, including St. Peter's.
In the 1850s there were discussions to merge St. John's and Trinity, but theological differences prevented the merger.The church was designed by German born architect Herman Paul Schnetzky, and his understudy Eugene R. Liebert, in Gothic Revival style and built in 1889.The two spires of St. John's rise 127 and 197 feet above Vliet St. just west of the Hillside Terrace housing complex. The taller steeple houses three bells, weighing more than 6 tons.