Saint Francis De Sales Catholic Church is located at 2900 Woodburn Avenue in the East Walnut Hills neighborhood of Cincinnati, Ohio, United States.The Church is a contributing property to the Madison and Woodburn Historic District.
The High Altar:
The main altar at St Francis de Sales was consecrated by Archbishop W. H. Elder on April 27, 1887. It was a gift of Joseph and Agnes Kleine and was sculpted by Fred and Henry Schroeder of Cincinnati, Ohio from designs by A. Kloster of New York. The altar of pure white Rutland marble and the white marble floor cost $20,000 at the time. The altar’s onyx pillars and delicate Gothic spires are flanked by statues of St. Joseph and St. Agnes in honor of the donor’s patron saints.
The church is home to Big Joe, the largest swinging bell ever cast in the United States. VanDuzen Company (formerly Buckeye Bell Foundry) on at & Broadway in Cincinnati, Ohio. The bell is 9 feet in diameter and over 7 feet tall and with a 640 lb clapper. Buddeke, a parishioner who was the leal could be heard 15 miles away and rattled nearby buildings, and loosening stone & mortar. After that it was decided to immobilize the bell and for more than a century now "Big Joe" has relied on a foot hammer striking its rim.This is an active Parish.