Johnston is a town in Providence County, Rhode Island, United States. The population was 28,769 at the 2010 census. Johnston is the site of the Clemence Irons House (1691) a stone-ender museum and the only landfill in Rhode Island. Incorporated on March 6, 1759, Johnston was named for the colonial attorney general, August Johnston. According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 24.4 square miles (63 km2). 23.7 square miles (61 km2) of it is land and 0.7 square miles (1.8 km2) (2.91%) is water.
The Johnston Public School System has four elementary schools, one middle school and one high school. Johnston Senior High School is a 2005 Rhode Island Department of Education Regents' Commended School. In 2008, the Johnston School Committee decided to close both Graniteville and Calef Elementary schools. Students affected by the closures were transferred to Brown Avenue Elementary School and Winsor Hill Elementary School. This decision was not without controversy, as school officials, parents and teachers complained of inadequate staffing, increased neighborhood traffic and lack of attention for special-needs students.