The Rand Ranger Station is a Bureau of Land Management compound consisting of eight historic buildings located in the Rogue River-Siskiyou National Forest in southwest Oregon. It was built by the United States Forest Service and the Civilian Conservation Corps as a district ranger station for the Galice Ranger District. The ranger station property was transferred to the Bureau of Land Management in 1970. Today, the ranger station office serves as a visitor center. The Rand Ranger Station is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
President Theodore Roosevelt created the Siskiyou National Forest in 1906. In 1909, six ranger districts were established to manage specific areas within the National Forest. The Galice Ranger District was responsible for Forest Service lands in the Rogue River canyon including timber sales, trail construction, and fire suppression activities. Jesse P. Dewitt became the first district ranger. Because the Forest Service had trouble securing permission to build a ranger’s residence at the Rand site (which was owned by a local mining company), Dewitt was forced to live in a tent for eight years, from 1909 until 1916. In 1916, the mining company finally agreed to rent a small parcel of land to the Forest Service for one dollar per year. Construction on the ranger’s residence, district office, and a barn began in 1917. In 1932, the Rand mining claim expired, and the Forest Service took permanent control of the ranger station property.
The Rand Ranger Station compound is made up of eight historic buildings plus one additional historic structure. The buildings are all basic wood-frame structures. They include the district office, two ranger residences, a fire equipment warehouse, blacksmith shop, horse barn, gas house, a garage, and a large woodshed. All the historic structures at the Rand Ranger Station were either built or improved by Civilian Conservation Corps workers under the supervision of Forest Service rangers.
The Rand Ranger Station is in the Rogue River-Siskiyou National Forest west of the Cascade Mountains in southern Oregon. It is located approximately three miles north of the small unincorporated community of Galice, Oregon. The ranger station is on a terraced slope above the Rogue River at an elevation of approximately 735 feet (224 m) above sea level. To get to the Rand Ranger Station from Interstate 5, take the Merlin exit north of Grants Pass, Oregon, and follow the Merlin-Galice Road 19 miles (31 km) west through the towns of Merlin and Galice. The Rand Ranger Station is located on the east side of the Merlin-Galice Road on the West Bank of the Rogue River. Parking is available at the Smullin Visitor Center at the entrance to the compound.