The Provo City Library is a public library serving residents of Provo in the U.S. state of Utah. It occupies the building of the former Brigham Young Academy, which was built in 1892. In 1976, the building was added to the National Register of Historic Places. After a remodeling process, it was rededicated as the Provo City Library on September 8, 2001.
History of Library
Provo City Library was founded in 1905. It first opened in the basement of the Provo City courthouse in October of that year and operated until 1908. During its operation in the courthouse, it acquired 1,425 books donated by individuals in the community. Soon after that, the collection doubled to 3000 volumes by April 1908. On December 1, 1908, the Library moved into a new building provided by a grant of $17,500 from Andrew Carnegie. Over the years, the library grew in size, by obtaining approximately 65,000 volumes and 125 periodical subscriptions.
History of Academy Square
The Brigham Young Academy was one of the largest school buildings in the western Rocky Mountain region. The Principal of the Academy, Karl G. Maeser, designed the building with the help of Don Carlos Young as the architect. The Academy was located in Northern Provo. The name of the building has changed many times: in 1898, it was known as the High School Building, and in 1922 it was known as the Education Building, which it remained until 1968.
There are almost 285,000 books, magazines, and media in circulation available to Provo Library cardholders at the Provo City Library. The checkout period for all items is three weeks. There is no limit on the number of books, magazines, music, videocassettes or audio books that may be checked out; however, there is a maximum of 4 DVD's. All items are renewable one time as long as there is no one on the waiting list for that specific item.