Powell Hall, formerly known as the St. Louis Theater, and Powell Symphony Hall, is the home of the St. Louis Symphony. The hall seats 2,689 people. The building is a contributing property of the Midtown Historic District on the National Register of Historic Places.
The building was originally called The St. Louis Theater. It was built in 1925, designed by the Chicago architectural firm of Rapp & Rapp. The theater spent the first 40 years of its existence as a stage for live vaudeville performances as well as motion pictures. The last movie shown in the old theater was The Sound of Music in 1966. At that time, the building was acquired by the Symphony Society for $500,000, through a gift from Oscar Johnson, Jr.. After spending an additional $2 million to update and renovate the theater, the hall re-opened in January 1968 as the new home of the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra.