The Port of Galveston is the port of the city of Galveston, Texas. It was established by a proclamation issued by the Congress of Mexico on October 17, 1825, while the land known today as Texas was still part of Mexico. The Port of Galveston is the oldest port in the Gulf of Mexico west of New Orleans.
Located on the upper Texas coast on the eastern end of Galveston Island, it is 9.3 miles (15.0 km) from the open Gulf or approximately 30 minutes sailing time. The port is municipally owned by the City of Galveston and is managed by the Board of Trustees of the Galveston Wharves, as designated by the City Charter. The port is equipped to handle all types of cargo including: containers, dry and liquid Bulk, breakbulk, RO/RO, refrigerated and project cargoes. The Galveston Railroad, a terminal switching railroad, facilitates movement of cargo by rail. In addition, the Port is the year-round homeport to two Carnival Cruise Line vessels (Carnival Magic and Carnival Triumph as well as one Royal Caribbean vessel (Mariner of the Seas). The Mariner is the largest ship to ever be homeported in Galveston, while the Magic is the largest ship homeported in Galveston year round. The Port of Galveston consists of the Galveston Ship Channel, the south side of Pelican Island, the north side of Galveston Island and the entrance to Galveston Bay. The Galveston Channel has an authorized minimum depth of 45 feet (14 m) and is 1,200 feet (370 m) wide at its narrowest point.