The Phoenix Shot Tower, also known as the Old Baltimore
Shot Tower, is a red brick shot tower, 234.25 feet (71.40 m) tall, located near the downtown and Little Italy
areas of Baltimore, Maryland
. When it was completed in 1828 it was the tallest structure in the United States
. The tower was originally known as the Phoenix Shot Tower, then the Merchants' Shot Tower, and now is called the Old Baltimore Shot Tower. It was designated a National Historic Landmark on November 11, 1971.
The tower was built by Jacob Wolfe using bricks manufactured by the Burns and Russell Co. of Baltimore. Charles Carroll of Carrollton, a signer of the Declaration of Independence, laid its cornerstone.The circular brick structure's walls are 4.5 feet (1.4 m) thick from the bottom to about 50 feet (15 m) up; then they narrow in stages of 4 inches (10 cm) each, until at the top the thickness is 21 inches (53 cm).