Matamoras is a borough in Pike County, Pennsylvania, United States. The population was 2,469 at the 2010 census. It is the easternmost town in Pennsylvania. Matamoras is part of the New York–Newark–Bridgeport, NY-NJ-CT-PA Combined Statistical Area. Matamoras was originally part of Westfall Township. Its name came from the Mexican town of Matamoros, which was the first to be occupied by U.S. troops during the Mexican-American War. It was incorporated as a borough on January 18, 1905. According to the United States Census Bureau, the borough has a total area of 0.8 sq mi. 0.7 sq mi (1.8 km2) of it is land and 0.1 sq mi (0.26 km2) of it (11.54%) is water. It is the easternmost point in Pennsylvania. Across the Delaware River are Port Jervis, New York and Montague, New Jersey.