Columbia, once colonial Wright's Ferry, is a borough in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, 28 miles (45 km) southeast of Harrisburg on the left (east) bank Susquehanna River across from Wrightsville and York County. Originally, the area may have been called Conejohela Flats, for the many islands and islets in the nearby river. The settlement was founded in 1726 by Colonial English Quakers from Chester County led by John Wright who had been visiting the region evangelizing among the natives since 1724, many of whom gradually adopted Christianity. Columbia is located immediately east of the Susquehanna River. It is just south of U.S. Route 30.