Patterson is a small city in St. Mary Parish, Louisiana, United States. It is part of the Morgan City Micropolitan Statistical Area. In 1832, Captain John Patterson, a trader from Indiana, settled there. He built a store and became a prominent citizen. The town was renamed Pattersonville after the captain successfully moved the post office to Dutch Settlement. Pattersonville was incorporated in 1907 as the Town of Patterson.