The Civil War found Johnson County Fiscal Court passing an ordinance barring both Union and Confederate flags from being flown. This was quickly repealed when then Col. James A. Garfield marched his brigade on the city of Paintsville. Paintsville serves as the county seat of Johnson County. It is located along the mouth of Paint Creek at the Levisa Fork of the Big Sandy River. Originally called Paint Lick Station, the town was established in 1834, after being laid out in 1826. Paint Lick Station was referred to in military dispatches as early as 1780. Paint Creek and Paintsville were named in reference to drawings found on trees, believed to be drawn by Native Americans. It is believed that the post office was originally known as Paint Creek, but was renamed Paintsville before 1843. The founder of the town is acknowledged to be William Henry Dixon.