Painted Post is a village in Steuben County, New York, United States. The village is in the town of Erwin, west of the city of Corning. The name comes from a painted and carved post found by explorers at the junction of three local rivers. Corning-Painted Post Airport (7N1) is west of the village. According to village records, Painted Post was established as a village in 1803. The Erwin brothers are considered the first wealthy European descended settlers to have settled in the Painted Post area in the late 18th century (Painted Post village is in the town of Erwin, named for the brothers and incorporated in 1796).