Mount Pleasant is a historic mansion in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, atop cliffs overlooking the Schuylkill River. It was built about 1761-62 in what was then the countryside outside of the city by John Mcpherson and his wife Margaret. Macpherson, was a privateer, or perhaps a pirate, who had had "an arm twice shot off" according to John Adams. He named the house "Clunie" after the seat of his family's ancient clan in Scotland.
The builder-architect was Thomas Nevell (1721–1797), an apprentice of Edmund Woolley, who built Independence Hall. The house is administered by the Philadelphia Museum Of Art in Fairmount Park. It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1974 and is located on Mount Pleasant Drive, between Kelly Drive and Columbia Avenue.