The Open Pond Fire Tower is located on the north side of the Open Pond Recreation Area. According to a plaque at the bottom of the tower, the tower was built in 1938. The plaque indicates the tower is registered on the National Historic Lookouts Register. According to the National Historic Lookouts Register, the tower was constructed between 1938 and 1939 by the Civilian Conservation Corps. The site is registered as U.S. Tower #97 on the Lookouts Register. The tower is one of two such towers in Conecuh National Forest.