Temple Israel is a Reform Jewish congregation located at 2004 East 22nd Place in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Founded in 1914, the synagogue affiliated with the Union for Reform Judaism in 1915, and constructed its first building on South Cheyenne Street in 1919. Early rabbis included Jacob Menkes, Charles Latz, Samuel Kaplan, Jacob Krohngold, and Benjamin Kelsen.
In 1932, Temple Israel constructed a new building on South Cheyenne. Rabbis there included Hyman Iola, Abraham Shusterman, Randall Falk, and Morton C. Fierman. In 1955 the congregation moved to its current home, a building on East 22nd Place designed by Percival Goodman. Long-serving rabbis in this building were Norbert Rosenthal (1951–1976) and Charles Sherman (1976– ). Membership rose from 170 families in 1943 to 525 in 1979, but has since fallen to 425. As of 2011[update], Temple Israel was the only Reform synagogue in Tulsa. The rabbi was Charles Sherman, and the cantor was Kari Siegel-Eglash.
Temple Israel was founded in December 1914, and joined the Union of American Hebrew Congregations (now Union for Reform Judaism) in 1915. Its first religious leader was Abraham Feldman, who, at the time, was studying at the Reform Hebrew Union College in Cincinnati. He served until 1915. In 1917, the members hired Jacob B. Menkes as their first rabbi. A 1910 graduate of the Jewish Theological Seminary of America, he served until 1919, the year the congregation occupied its first permanent building (until then services had been held in a series of temporary premises).