Fredericktown is a village in Knox County, Ohio, United States. The population was 2,428 at the 2000 census. Long before white settlers entered the area, Adena and Hopewell Indians inhabited the area of Fredericktown. Early settlers found three mounds and earthworks located on nearby hilltops. While the Raleigh Mound and Stackhouse Mound and Works are preserved today, the third mound, located by what is presently the Baptist Church, was demolished.
Both preserved mounds were most likely ceremonial structures and they are oriented towards the Sun's movements. When settlers arrived, the sites were abandoned with few other traces of the Natives who lived there. There were a few scattered Native Americans living nearby along what was then the periphery of Indian Lands established by the Greenville Treaty Line. The National FFA Organization Official Dress Jacket has its origins in Fredericktown. In 1933 FFA members from the local chapter arrived at the national convention in blue corduroy jackets with the FFA emblem on the back. That same year national delegates voted to adopt it as the official dress. Today more than 50,000 are manufactured yearly for FFA members.