Englewood, a northern suburb of Dayton, is a city in Montgomery County, Ohio, United States. The population was 13,465 at the 2010 census. It is part of the Dayton Metropolitan Statistical Area. There were many Indians in the area in the early days; however, they were not hostile and traded with the settlers. There was also an abundance of wildlife which afforded good hunting for the settlers food requirements. Following primarily the path traced through this area by the Stillwater River, a group of settlers founded what is now the City of Englewood on May 6, 1841. These pioneers included Mathias Gish, Daniel Rasor and Samuel Herr. Some of these settlers came from the area around Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, and thus named the community Harrisburg. Other residents came from Randolph County, North Carolina, and named this township accordingly.