Nyack is a village in the towns of Orangetown and Clarkstown in Rockland County, New York, United States, located north of South Nyack; east of Central Nyack; south of Upper Nyack and west of the Hudson River, approximately 19 miles north of the Manhattan boundary, it is an inner suburb of New York City, directly across from Tarrytown. Tarrytown and Nyack are on either bank of the largest expanse of the Tappan Zee, in the lower Hudson Valley.
Landmarks and places of interest
Edward Hopper House Art Center – 82 North Broadway – This home of the realist painter Edward Hopper was built in 1858. One room is devoted to materials about Hopper's work and life in Nyack. Three other rooms provide space for monthly exhibits by local artists. The restored garden is the setting for jazz concerts on summer evenings. (NRHP)
First Methodist Episcopal Church of Nyack 1812–1813 (NRHP)
John Green House – Main Street – Built in 1817 by John Green of local sandstone, now covered with stucco, painted yellow. This is the oldest house standing in Nyack. Green started the first lumber yard in Nyack and later opened a store. House is a private residence.
Memorial Park, a short walk from downtown, has a children's playground and a beautiful butterfly garden. Canoes and kayaks can be launched from the shores of the park into the Hudson River. Memorial Park hosts many special events including weekly music concerts in the summer, numerous festivals and even outdoor movies.
Nyack Library – 59 South Broadway, the 1903 Carnegie Library building.
Nyack Post Office – The 1932 building is a rare example of an American post office constructed between the World wars in the Classical Revival architectural style. The post office is located on South Broadway in the center of the village. It serves the 10960 ZIP code, which covers South Nyack and Upper Nyack in addition to the village. The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1988. (NRHP)
Nyack-Tarrytown Ferry – foot of Main Street – Begun 1834 by Isaac S. Blauvelt on a vessel named Donkey, an Anglo corruption of Dutch donk ya, or "thank you". The ferry remained in service until the opening of the Tappan Zee Bridge in the 1950s. This spot was also the start of the Nyack Turnpike, the first direct highway across Rockland County.
Oak Hill Cemetery – 140 N. Highland Avenue (Rte. 9W) – since 1840. Dedicated on June 27, 1848, it reflected a change from small family and religious burial grounds to community cemeteries. Graves include founders of Nyack, playwright Charles MacArthur and his wife, actress Helen Hayes, scientist and inventor William Hand, and artist Edward Hopper.
Red Cross Center – 143 North Broadway. A cross gable Queen Anne building, it was built by Julia and Garret Blauvelt, a physician, surgeon and director of Nyack Hospital, in 1882 and given to the Red Cross in 1915. During World War I, World War II and the Korean War, the center was a hub for food and blood drives, gathering of clothes and supplies for shipment overseas. Helen Hayes, who lived nearby, was chairwomen of the war fund drive during World War II. Camp Shanks, one of the military's major wartime staging areas, relied heavily on the Red Cross volunteers and services. Today the center continues to provide clothing, food and shelter in times necessity and emergencies. The center has also provided certification courses in first aid and lifesaving skills since 9/11.
River Rowing Association (RRA) – In 1881, Julian O. Davidson, a local artist and marine painter, founded the Nyack Rowing Association (NRA), which was dedicated to the sport of sculling (two-oared rowing). The grand boat house, built in 1882 was designed by William Smith and built in the Stick style architecture found in many river homes in the village.
Riverspace Arts in Nyack – 119 Main Street. Home of the Rockland Symphony Orchestra
St. Paul's United Methodist Church – A Romanesque church built in 1894. (NRHP)
Tappan Zee Playhouse – 20 South Broadway – (NRHP) It was demolished in April 2004.