By 1694 the public landing built at the head of the Thames River allowed ships to offload goods at the harbor. The harbor area is known as the Chelsea neighborhood. The distance between the port and Norwichtown was serviced by the East and West Roads which later became Washington Street and Broadway. Norwich was founded in 1659 when settlers from Old Saybrook, Connecticut, purchased land from Chief Uncas, leader of the Mohegan Native American tribe. In the 19th century, Norwich came to be known as a manufacturing city because of its many large mills. Norwich, known as "The Rose of New England," is a city in, and former county seat (when there were county seats in the state) of, New London County, Connecticut, United States. The population was 36,117 at the 2000 census. Three rivers, the Yantic, the Shetucket, and the Quinebaug, flow into the city and form its harbor, from which the Thames River flows south to Long Island Sound.