The California State University Northridge Botanic Garden or CSUN Botanic Garden is located in the northern San Fernando Valley, in the southeast section ( 'quadrant' ) of the California State University, Northridge campus in the community of Northridge in Los Angeles, California. The 1.5-acre (0.61 ha) site includes a 1-acre (0.40 ha) botanical garden and approximately .5-acre (0.20 ha) of nursery, shadehouse, and greenhouse zones. The botanic gardens were established shortly after the campus was established in 1959, as a Valley branch of California State University, Los Angeles (CSULA).
The Botanic Garden was originally planted exclusively with Californian native plants in 1959. Since then the garden has evolved and expanded into a diverse collection representing many different geographic regions and themes, with over 1,200 species and cultivars present.
The different sections of the garden contain: trees, palms, shrubs, 'subshrubs,' perennials, bulbs, cacti, succulents, herbs, annual plants and wildflowers, ground covers, butterfly and beneficial insect sustainers, edibles, and other plant types from; California and the other four Mediterranean climate plant regions of the World, Asia, Australia and New Zealand, Europe, the Americas, and other continents and regions. An ethnobotanical and a contemporary water-conserving landscape are being developed.