Sylva is an incorporated town located in central Jackson County, in the Great Smoky Mountains of Western North Carolina, United States of America. It is the county seat, having taken over from nearby Webster in 1913. According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 3.2 square miles (8.3 sq.km), all of it land.
The town has four parks. Poteet and Bridge Park are both along Scotts Creek and connected by a bridge over the creek. Mark Watson Park is located in a depression behind the historic courthouse that once was the campus for Sylva High School and Sylva Elementary School and before that, fairgrounds. Bryson Park is on Chipper Curve Road across from the Jackson Paper Recycling Plant.
Poteet Park has a large playground, sand volleyball court, basketball court, and picnic pavilion, and is located in close proximity to Roscoe Poteet Pool, which serves as a community pool and also as a 6-lane competition pool for the county swim team. Bridge Park has a small stage pavilion for outdoor concerts, as well as a bridge spanning Scotts Creek and connecting to Poteet Park. Mark Watson Park has a picnic shelter, playground, two baseball fields, two basketball courts, and four tennis courts. It also has two old abandoned buildings, a large stone two-story structure built in 1938 as an agricultural/vocational shops building for Sylva High School, and a metal garage building that once housed Jackson County Rescue Squad. Bryson Park has a picnic shelter, basketball court, and a playground.