Clinton is the county seat of Sampson County, North Carolina, United States. Clinton is named for American Revolution General Richard Clinton. The first European settlers came to the Clinton area around 1740. The community was originally Clinton Courthouse. There was an earlier incorporated town of Clinton in Rowan County (now Davie County); however, the town folded in 1822. The City of Clinton was incorporated in 1852. The General Assembly appointed five commissioners: James Moseley, Isaac Boykin, Dr. Henry Bizzel, John Beaman, and Alfred Johnson. The corporate limits of the town at that time extended a half mile each way from the courthouse. The first records of an election were in February 1852 and the first tax rate was $0.50 per $100 valuation of real property. Clinton is the geographic center of the county, and because Sampson County is primarily rural farmland, Clinton developed as the major agricultural marketing center. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 7.75 square miles (20.1 sq.km), 0.04 square miles (0.10 sq.km) of it (0.28%) is water.