North Carolina Central University (NCCU) is a public historically black university in the University Of North Carolina system, located in Durham, North Carolina, offering programs at the baccalaureate, master’s, professional and doctoral levels. The University is a member-school of Thurgood Marshall College Fund.
North Carolina Central University was founded by James E. Shepard as the National Religious Training School and Chautauqua in the Hayti District. It was chartered in 1909 as a private institution and opened on July 5, 1910. Along with other progressives, Woodrow Wilson, the future U.S. President, contributed some private support for the school's founding. The school was sold and reorganized in 1915, becoming the National Training School; it was supported by Margaret Olivia Slocum Sage, a philanthropist of New York who was particularly concerned about education. It supported Black teacher development in the Jim Crow era, a time when funding and support for Black education by southern states was severely limited.
The campus is located about a mile south of downtown Durham, North Carolina and about three miles east of Duke University. The campus is on the National Register of Historic Places.
NCCU is a part of the UNC System. The campus is governed by a thirteen member Board of Trustees. Eight Trustees are elected by the UNC System‘s Board of Governors, and four are appointed by the Governor. The president of the Student Government Association also serves as an ex-officio member. The Board elects its officers annually and meets five times per year. As of 2011, NCCU had a total of 8,587 students, (full and part-time) including 5396 full-time undergraduate and 1233 full-time graduate students. Sixty-four percent are women and 36 percent are men. Eighty-five percent are African-American, 6 percent are white, and 2 percent are Hispanic. As of 2007. NCCU had a student faculty ratio of 13:1.