Noank is a village and census-designated place (CDP) in the town of Groton in New London County, Connecticut, United States. The population was 1,830 at the 2000 census. The original settlement in Noank along Elm Street (Route 215) and east of it towards Morgan Point is listed as a historic district on the National Register of Historic Places. In 1614, the area then known as "Nauyang" (meaning "point of land") was a summer camping ground of the Pequot. The Pequot were taken under English protection in 1655 following the Pequot War. The land comprising Noank Peninsula was acquired by James Morgan through a lottery in 1712.