Tthe state of Vermont
, with federal public works funds, purchased a 560-acre parcel from Weston
Heights, Inc., and a 640-acre parcel from E.J. York. In 1938, an additional 300 acres were purchased from the Bicknell estate. This 1500-acre tract was the original area in which Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), Work Group SPI began the development of Ascutney
State Park in 1935. Subsequent land acquisitions have brought the total to about 2000 acres.
The original park, being the summit road, the stone toilet buildings, campsites 1 to 18, and the ranger's quarters had all been completed by 1939 when the CCC camp moved to Okemo. The stonework is all of Ascutney granite. The ranger's quarters and entrance are at an elevation of 550 feet. The summit road winds a steep path through mixed hardwoods to a parking lot at an elevation of 2,800 feet in a saddle between the south peak and summit. A 0.8 mile foot trail takes you the additional 344 vertical feet to the summit.