The MacArthur Bridge over the Mississippi River between St. Louis, Missouri and East St. Louis, Illinois is a 647 foot (197 m) long truss bridge. Construction on the bridge was begun in 1909 by the city of St. Louis to break the Terminal Railroad Association of St. Louis's monopoly on the area's railroad traffic.
The bridge was initially called the "St. Louis Municipal Bridge" and known popularly as the "Free Bridge." Tolls were added for auto traffic beginning in 1932. In 1942 the bridge was renamed for Douglas MacArthur.