The borough of Media is the county seat of Delaware County, Pennsylvania and is located 12 miles (19 km) west of Philadelphia. Media was incorporated in 1850 at the same time that it was named the county seat. The population was 5,533 at the 2000 census. Its school district is the Rose Tree Media School District with Penncrest High School and Springton Lake Middle School. In June 2006, it became the first fair trade town in America. The history of the town goes back to William Penn, but the area remained predominantly rural until the twentieth century, and is suburban today. The Delaware County Institute of Science was founded in Media in 1833, while the Pennsylvania Institute of Technology, a two-year technical college, Williamson Free School of Mechanical Trades a three-year technical college, and Delaware County Community College, a two-year liberal arts college, are located nearby. Media promotes itself as "Everybody's Hometown".
Media is connected to Upper Darby, Pennsylvania, by the 101 trolley and is the only suburban town in the United States to have a trolley line end on its main street. The trolley terminates just after the Delaware County Courthouse, at a station known as Orange Street. Media also has a stop on the Media/Elwyn Regional Rail Line at the corner of Orange Street and Station Road. U.S. 1 formerly ran through the borough until the "Media bypass" was completed in 1960. The bypass has an unusual "volleyball" or three-level diamond interchange with Interstate 476. The road, formerly known as Route 1, is also known by its even older name, Baltimore Pike. Philadelphia International Airport (PHL), the 11th busiest airport in the World in 2007, is 10.2 miles (16.4 km) driving distance (about 15 minutes) from downtown Media, following Baltimore Pike east, then Interstate 476 south and Interstate 95 northeast.
- Minshall House (1702) on Route 252.
- Media Presbyterian Church (1855) at Baltimore Ave. and Church Street, designed by John McArthur, architect of Philadelphia City Hall.
- Delaware County Institute of Science (1867) on Veterans’ Square. Google Street View
- Cooper House (before 1870) on State Street.
- Delaware County Court House (1871) on Front Street. Google Street View
- Media Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends (1875) and Media-Providence Friends School (1876), both located at 125 W. 3rd Street.
- Dr. Samuel D. Risley House (1877) 430 N. Monroe St.
- Hillhurst (1890) on Orange Street, designed by Addison Hutton.
- Provident National Bank (1900) on State Street at Veterans’ Square, designed by Albert Dilks. Google Street View
- Media Armory (1908) on State Street, designed by William S. Price and M H. McClanahan. It now houses the Pennsylvania Veterans’ Museum and Trader Joe’s.
- Media Theatre (1927) on State Street, designed by Louis Magziner as a Beaux-arts movie palace with Art Deco design elements. It now is home to the Media Theatre for the Performing Arts.
- Jaisohn House, 100 East Lincoln Street Google Street View
- Old Rose Tree Tavern (1809), listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.