Opened in 1860, McGillin's Olde Ale House is the oldest continuously operated tavern in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It is located on Drury Street, an alley connecting 13th Street and South Juniper Street, between Chestnut Street and Sansom Street, in Center City.
The famous pub, officially called The Bell in Hand, opened its doors in 1860 in the home of Irish immigrant William "Pa" McGillin, the owner and operator of the establishment. It was nicknamed McGillin's by those who frequented the establishment, and the bar took on the title as its official name. "Pa" McGillin operated the establishment until his death in 1901. Then his wife, known as "Ma" McGillin continued running the business, which had grown to encompass the oyster house next door as well as the remainder of the McGillin's house, displacing her 13 children. "Ma" ran the restaurant until her own death in 1937, at age 90.
In 2007, the national trade magazine Nightclub and Bar included McGillin's in its Editors' Choice Top 100 bars and clubs in the United States
. The list is based on annual revenue, effective marketing and advertising, uniqueness to market and other factors.