Maxwell is a village in Colfax County, New Mexico, United States. The population was 274 at the 2000 census. Unlike nearby Springer, the village has been losing population due to the rural exodus. Maxwell was established in 1879 as a railroad town on the Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe. It was named in honor of Lucien Maxwell, who provided the land for the original townsite from his Maxwell Land Grant.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 0.5 square miles (1.3 km2), all of it land. As of the census of 2000, there were 274 people, 117 households, and 76 families residing in the village. The population density was 577.5 people per square mile (225.1/km²). There were 148 housing units at an average density of 311.9 per square mile (121.6/km²). The racial makeup of the village was 86.50% White, 4.01% Native American, 7.30% from other races, and 2.19% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 55.47% of the population.