Grantsville is a town in Garrett County, Maryland, United States. The population was 619 at the 2000 census. Grantsville, 1/2 mile west of the Casselman River, began as a small Amish and Mennonite settlement, called Tomlinson's or Little Crossing, along Braddock rd., which wound westward from Cumberland over Negro Mountain. Later a new village flourished as a stop along the nearby National Road, Route 40. From 1818, the national road carried hundreds of thousands of pioneers and settlers in stagecoaches and covered wagons. In the 1800s, an area just outside Grantsville (once known as Little Crossing but now marked by the Little Crossing Antique Store & Gift Shoppe and an ice cream parlor, The Dip) was a major stop on the old national pike. There is a "dip" in the road that travelers will not miss when they pass through Little Crossing on Route 40.