The Mary Schenley Memorial Fountain, also known as A Song to Nature, is a 1918 landmark public sculpture in bronze and granite by Victor David Brenner. It sits in Schenley Plaza
at the entrance to Schenley Park
and directly in front of the University of Pittsburgh
's Frick Fine Arts Building
in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
, United States
. The fountain is designated as a contributing property to the Schenley Farms Historic District.
The work of art comprises two major figures: a reclining Pan, the Greek god of shepherds, and above him a female singer playing a lyre. From crevices along the fountain's rim four turtles spew water into the basin. An inscription on the pedestal reads, "A Song of Nature, Pan the Earth God Answers to the Harmony and Magic Tones Sung to the Lyre by Sweet Humanity." The basin of the fountain is 15 feet high, above which the figures rise another 15 feet.
The fountain honors Mary Schenley. In 1889, after intensive lobbying by Edward Manning Bigelow, director of parks for the City of Pittsburgh, Schenley donated the land for the park named in her honor. Upon her death, Pittsburgh City Council sponsored a national competition for the memorial. The judges selected this design by Brenner, who is famous today for his design of the Lincoln cent, which is still in circulation.