Maria Hernandez Park is a municipal park in Bushwick, Brooklyn, New York City. It is located between Knickerbocker Avenue on the southwest to Irving Avenue on the northeast, and Starr Street on the northwest to Suydam Street on the southeast. The park is 6.87 acres (2.78 ha) and is near the Jefferson Street (BMT Canarsie Line) station and the M subway. Maria Hernandez Park also has four wheelchair accessible entrances. It has a newly renovated basketball court, handball court, fitness equipment, spray showers and benches, and a newly built performance stage. The playground was rebuilt with brand new equipment thanks to funds from the Mayor and the City Council.
Previously, the park was known as Bushwick Park. The City of Brooklyn purchased the land for Bushwick Park from several landowners including Phineas T. Barnum. The park was transformed into a showplace park by 1896. Bushwick Park was a popular spot for neighborhood recreation, such as holiday celebrations, croquet matches, dancing and baseball games.
The park saw another transformation in the 1930s with the addition of new sliding boards, sand boxes, and swing sets installed in the playground. A new softball field with bleachers was constructed. Five years after the park was renamed for Maria Hernandez, it underwent an intensive five-day clean-up and repair campaign. Park workers removed broken glass, debris, and graffiti; repaired and painted benches and fencing; restored the ball field; and cleaned the sewer line.
The park was the chosen as the city's "Park of the Month" in December 2006. The city and community renovated it with a new basketball court and fences. They also added a stage for shows and painted benches. In January 2007, it was awarded the Lily Bartle Park of the Month award.